Saturday, May 23, 2009

Dove Energy Glow

I've never been too interested in in self-tanners.  As a teenager, I shallowly attempted the tanning bed trend.  Luckily I was smart enough to realize the err in my ways quickly enough.  Not quickly enough to prevent some unsightly burns, but still.  Living in California, I spent most of my summers at the beach with girlfriends swimming and tanning.  I was burnt to a crisp and liked it that way.  Over the past few years, though, I've gotten extremely aware of how dangerous the sun really is (especially to those as ghostly pale as I am!) so I usually wear an SPF 85 or higher.  I've embraced my pale skin since then, but recently have felt an urge to glow golden again.  As I am trying to avoid doing it via sun exposure, I decided to test some of the mountains of self-tanners available.  My first attempt is the Dove Energy Glow Gradual Tanning Body Lotion in fair to medium.  It retails for  around $8-9.

The product is described as:  Dove believes that real beauty can be genuinely stunning. That's why Dove developed Energy Glow Daily Moisturizer with subtle self-tanners. It gradually enhances and evens out your natural skin color, giving you a beautiful summer glow all year long. For great results after about one week, apply daily all over to gradually build a beautiful summer glow.

My first thoughts on the product were positive.  It doesn't smell like a traditional self-tanner.  It has a much more perfumed scent.  I must say, though, a few hours after it has dried on the skin you do begin to smell the yucky self-tanner scent.  After I exfoliated and moisturized, I spread an even layer all over my body and wait about 5 minutes for it to dry before getting dressed.  While it is supposed to be a gradual tanner, I noticed results almost an hour after application.  By the next morning, the color totally developed and I found it to be golden if not a bit orange.  It was minimally streaky but after I showered the streaks vanished, as did the orange color.  I was left with a gorgeous golden glow.  I won't be applying this every day because I think it would turn me orange Oompa Loompa style.  I'll be using it once or twice a week to keep the color.

What tanners would you recommend?
xoxo

No comments: